24 June 2016

Friday night reading David Dunning and the Brexit

New Zealand's state-funded public radio channel, Radio New Zealand, dedicated half an hour of music to the British referendum on leaving or remaining in the European Union.

The tunes showcased included 'Land of Hope and Glory', 'Wake me up before you go go' by Wham, 'Winner takes it all' by Abba. The final insult, I mean, the final tune for the half-hour 'sonic tonic' was the Sid Vicious version of 'My Way'.

I must admit I found the 'Sonic Tonic' a very amusing antidote to the news of a decision that will have very serious outcomes.

For example, here is Ed King writing on the referendum result on Climate Home. Midway through what’s set to be the warmest year in history, UK voters have elected to leave the world’s most progressive climate change alliance.

However, I did manage to tear myself away from Radio New Zealand and Youtube and I found something on the internet to feed the intellect. I dedicate David Dunning's 2014 article We are all confident idiots to the Leave Campaign. I should I be dedicating the Sid Vicious version of 'My Way' to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment